Sunday, February 24, 2013

Somewhere I heard it said

"keep doing it til it hurts, then stop or until you get good at it".    I guess that is my approach to  venturing  into the world of vending at quilt shows since I am back from being a vendor for the third time in a month.

 So far I am not in pain, but I can't say I've gotten good at it either, at least not yet.

Last Thursday accompanied by my oldest grandson Josh, I drove three hours to Punta Garda; one of my favorite places in Florida. to be a vendor at the Peace River Quilter's Guild bi-annual quilt show..
 Being a vendor at their show was a very last minute decision on my part (three days before set up day I called to see if they still had a booth available).  Boy was I glad that they remembered me from a little over two years ago when I was there teaching for them.

I arrived to a warm welcome.  This was a well staged and managed show held in the convention center and a very good experience.  Here is a picture of my booth space.  I was in a great spot. At the end of a row facing the center aisle with a row of quilts in front of me.  I talked to a gobs of people and  I was so happy to see so many familiar faces.  I was too busy on both days that a lunch break was out of the question.  Good thing I had a "big" apple in my purse on day one. 

I took  Josh and I about two hours to get the booth set up, far less than some of the other vendors who where there working when we arrived and there working when we left.  It took us less than 30 minutes at the end of the show to break it down, and pack the car. 

My accessment of being a vendor remains they same as the opinion I held after the first vendor experience three weeks ago.  Being a vendor without help would be hard and having Lyn or Josh makes it so  much easier.
On Josh's part having him is a plus, he has  guy muscles and he is  young  and two and best of all his brain does math like a computer.  I know a card reader isn't  all that hard to manage and it does do math when one has either a smart phone or an I-pad , but it is hard to be the money taker and the talker at the same time. So he was the taker and I was the talker.  We made a good team.

     All is going well with the purchase.  Inspection---done.  Appraisal---done.  Had a tile guy in to give me a quote on cleaning the grout and restoring the tile.  Not costly.  Have a plumber lined up to install a utility sink in the garage that is already plumbed for this kind of installation, but would prefer a restaurant style, stainless steel one in the garage if I can fnd a reasonably priced used one and I have an electrician who will come change out the chandelier in the dining area to something more serviceable since  no dinning will be done in that space, only creating. 

So if all continues to go as scheduled, I will be closing on either March 14 (not me personally because I am schedule to teach out of town) so Lyn with my power of attorney will do that for me or the closing can put it off until March 18 when I am back.

     Today it is suppose to rain.  A rare happening this time of the year.  So I am going to have a feet up, butt down, book reading kind of day or a movie.  I haven't decide which or I just might do both.

1 comment:

Susan Turney said...

It's good to hear from you! I'm looking forward to more photos of your newest work and newest home!