Monday, June 09, 2008

I thought I was going to spend my time

reclining in my chair, feet up, with a glass of soda at hand, in front of the television knitting a sweater for my youngest granddaughter (here is the making of the first sleeve. Don't ask me how many times I pulled it out and started over) while I waited for Hillary to acknowledge that she had lost her bid to become the Democratic Party's nominee for president. But no,there was no prolonged periods of sitting in my life on Thursday, Friday or Saturday.
A wedding my daughter was co-ordinating for a friend interceded and I became the resident fount of knowledge and general go to for answers and solutions to an ever increasing number of small and large issues that arose as the hours rapidly counted down on the final days before the wedding.
It was a good thing, I had been a Mother of the Bride once.
As it happens two of the brides maids dresses arrived and were too small. So with no time to send then back and get larger sizes, I had to devise a way to disguise the fact that the dresses would not zip up completely. I wished I had taken a picture of how creatively this problem was solved. The dresses were all too long and again, I the unofficial dresser of the wedding party came to the rescue. Stitch Witchery works wonders.

Posted by Picasa

The collage of picture shows the bride, her Mother who arrived the night before from Ecuador and spoke no English which left me searching my brain for words learned in High School Spanish class. There were not many left in the old noodle to retrieve, but hand gestures and pointing with a smile did wonders. The wedding party; the bride, the junior brides maid, the ring bearer, the flower girl, the maid of honor in green, and the mother of the bride, and three brides maids all crammed into Lyn's room as well as me to get dressed.
My dear daughter Lyn 15 minutes before she needed to get dressed looked like a deer caught in headlights. I don't think she will ever again volunteer to make the wedding cake (which came out spectacular I must say), or her house as a staging area,(because today it's a mess) or the use of the club house every again,no matter how much she loves a friends. (a carpet cleaner had to be called in on Sunday before she could return the keys to the association) The grass had been freshly mowed before the wedding and grass stains were very evident she said.
I didn't attend the wedding. I was the chief cook and bottle washer as my Father used to say of the person manning the kitchen and overseeing the prep and cooking of the wedding supper. The day of the wedding began early Saturday morning and because all was not said and done until late Saturday evening, on Sunday, I slept.
I slept so much on Sunday that I am now off schedule and here I sit at the computer at 4:30 in the morning.

1 comment:

Karoda said...

I rose early to start my day but afer reading about your heavy load I'm now tired and am going back to bed ;)