Thursday, June 12, 2008

I've been working in the garden

planting stuff I remember from childhood, like Hollyhocks, only these are a dwarf variety and Bee balm oooooohhh it smells so good. I have fallen in love with cone flowers and my hoystas are blooming. Everyday in the garden has been delightful.
I know it is hard to believe, but I am beginning to get used to the worms.
We have had so much rain here that I have not turned on the irrigation system yet. Mind you, I am not complaining. I'd rather have the rain than a draught or the flooding and or the tornadoes that so many others are dealing with.
I know I am doing a lot to the garden when there is a possibility that we will not be in this house this time next year, but as my daughter Lyn says, you have to live your life and enjoy each day as it comes and we have decided that being surrounded by flowers is not just a good thing, but a great thing.
So she is at the nursery buying another tree, (a cork screw willow) to anchor the west garden; replacing the Bradford Pear that the deer found so tasty last fall.
I have finished the first sleeve on Olivia's (the grand daughter) sweater and have started working on the front piece.
And since you all check in to find out about my quilt making, I guess I should tell you that I have not given up that part of my life for gardening or knitting. I was just taking a breather, having just finished shipping off a collection of quilts for an exhibit that I juried and curated for the Ohio Valley Art League. That same collection will then travel to Kentucky State University in August. So if any of you are in Henderson, KY or Frankfort, KY this summer, maybe you can catch one of the two exhibits in your travels.
I am also in the planning stage for a three piece commission, someone wants to hang in their music room. Two of the three pieces will measure 3 feet x four feet with a horizontal orientation and the other 3 feet x four and one half feet with a vertical orientation. The line drawing is done. Now I have to go rummage through the fabric stash to find examples of fabrics and colors that I plan to use in the pieces. Of course I will have to dye more fabric since I know I don't have enough of any of the ones selected as references to do all three quilts. But the dyeing will begin tomorrow. Later today I have an appointment with the buyer so she can approves the line drawing and my fabric/color selections. If she does, I know this commission will be a big part of my life for at least 2 months. And when it is done, I'm certain I will be asking, "Where did the summer go?"

No comments: