Friday, October 08, 2010

World Quilt Show-Florida



I entered these two pieces into the show and they were both juried in. Yea! Yea!
Kissimmee Garden, on the left and Freesia, on the right.  I know those of you who follow my blog have seen them before.  Since Kissimmee Garden was at Bernina University early last Summer it is ready to go, but Freesia, still needs sleeves and a label since this will be its first trip out of the house for an exhibit or show.  

I've known about this show for a while as well as several others that the Mancuso's produce, but I never paid much attention to the fact this show was only for Florida quilt makers. Doing some further investigation into what other show were upcoming that I could enter I discovered that several other of the Mancuso managed shows are restricted to a State or region as well. So I crossed out some on their list.
Thinking back, I can't remember the last time I attended a large quilt show. Maybe the AQS Show in Paducah in 2002 or 2003.  The same last time and year I entered a quilt and had it  accepted.
While the show is in Florida, it is not, in my back yard nor for that matter in the adjacent county. Mapquest reports Fort Lauderdale is a 3-4 hours drive from the center of the state where I am over to the east coast and down toward Miami. Despite the 200 plus miles I  thought it was worth the drive and was looking forward to going.  
That said, I was also looking forward to seeing what my fellow Floridians create, but sadly, I won't get the chance.  I will be traveling.  
On the Sunday before the show  opens I will be on a plane to the Boston area to help jury a SAQA exhibit that will hang at the New England Quilt Museum.  While in the area I will get to see my son Myke, grand-daughter Joslyn and Mel, my daughter-n-law, YEA!!!!  And I will be bumming a horizontal surface to lay my body down on for a couple of nights at their house too. 
On Wednesday  I will drive from the Providence/Cranston area where they live over to  Southbury, CT to teach at the 15th annual Storytellers in Cloth Quilt Retreat.  I think this is the third or fouth time I have been invited to teach and I always have a good time with the quilters who attend.  The food at the Dolce Heritage Resort Hotel is...SUPER GOOD.
I will drive back to Rhode Island after Sunday Brunch to catch a plane out of the Providence airport for home. I think at this moment I'll do that late on Sunday as long as I can catch a non-stop flight otherwise it will me a non-stop on Monday. 
I hope Winter doesn't come early to the New England area this year. I have no heavy/cold weather clothes and I reeeefuse, to buy any and a coat purchase is a definte NO..NOT GONNA.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Michele said...

LOL! You can always borrow a coat from the Northerners! Have fun and congratulations!

Penny said...

Were supposed to have a warm fall this year. You should catch the end of the fall colours. Bring on your camera. Enjoy your trip.

Renee said...

Hi Juanita.. well I am happy that you will be at Storytellers. It is my first time attending and I am taking the first 2 days of your class :-). See you in Southbury!