Wednesday, October 29, 2014

It's my birthday, yea.. yea

It has been a good one so far if I leave out the doctor's visit this afternoon to be seen for a scratch sore throat and cough that was getting on my last nerve and I am sure,  on the nerves of everyone within ear shot of me for the last few days.  The cough and runny nose I am blaming on the germ-ie kids that populate flights in and out of Orlando especially the homeward leg I was on for  my trip back from Cleveland 10 days ago.
     What a wonderful and well staged quilt and doll show the African American Quilt and Doll guide presented.   The quality of the work was as good and in some cases better than what I've seen displayed in other guild shows over the last four years.  There was a good variety; from traditional to modern with examples of works created by fusing, piecing, with appliqued and mixed media on exhibit. 
     The program on the night of my trunk show included a wearable/ethnic quilted fashion show.  And then there were vendors, not just your usual quilt shop types, but tables filled with jewelry and clothing and home decorations and beauty supplies.  And yes I made more than a few purchases.  So much that I had my fabric selections shipped home.  I was not flying Southwest with the luxury of 2 bags flying free. United charges $25.00 for the first and $35.00 for the second, I didn't dare asked about a third.
     Yesterday as a early birthday of celebrating,   I was treated  to late lunch by my dear friend Marti who was down from Louisville with her husband.  They were visiting friends in a neighboring town.  Being so close I am glad she didn't pass on spending most of the day with me.  We drank coffee and we chatted and chatted and I coughed and coughed.
     I don't as a rule get excited about my Birthday and I wasn't thinking of doing so this year.  But something happened on the way to the 29th of this month.  Here-to-fore a  simply Happy Birthday acknowledgement, maybe a card would have  sufficed but not this year.
     First came a gift to myself ; the  addition of another silver bracelet.  One nearly filled with beads.
I have never been much of a dangling charms kind of
girl,  but I do very much like these Pandora beads and charms and the fact that you can add to your collection whenever is great.  If I keep finding ones I like I might have to add another bracelet.
I got flowers today too, a dozen red roses from the grandsons. 
And I got a car from my Daughter Rene'.  Love my Mini.
After many successful quilt show and sales during my teaching engagements  my quilt inventory is depleted so it will be back to work tomorrow; working  toward replenishing it.  I have nothing on my calendar until the 17th of November when I will be speaking to a guild in Ormond Beach and taking along whatever quilts I have in the house.
I will let you see what I am working on in a few days, until then.  It's my birthday yea...yea!

4 comments:

kathy loomis said...

Happy birthday!! wish I could have been there too for a celebration.

Unknown said...

Good morning Birthday Girl! Happy Belated Birthday! Im a day late! I just got finished reading your blog and it sounds like you had a wonderful Birthday! Ive been meaning to call but so much is going on these days. I do want you to know that I miss you and think of you often. Please take care of yourself and that cold. ((huggs&kisses))

Sharon

Marti Plager said...

Loved our day together. You are a great friend. May the coming year be filled with more great art from your studio and many satisfying experiences.

Marti Plager

Denise from Sacramento said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday.