Sunday, February 19, 2012

A weekend filled with art related activites of every kind

beginning on Friday when Bonnie McCaffery came to shot a vidcast featuring me and my quilts.  What an eye opening experience.  First off let me say that Bonnie is a wonderful interviewer.  She puts you at ease from the first hello.  If you have an opportunity to be part of her video series , JUMP at the chance.  I was a little hesitant at first.  But now that it is all done I am so glad I decided to do it.  I'm not sure when the vidcast will appear on her site, (there's editing to be done) but I will let you know when Bonnie lets me know.
Working with Bonnie has also made me think seriously about producing a CD. 
Saturday morning I worked a few hours on updating the class sample I use to teach my 2 day Flowers on a Grand Scale workshop.  I looked at one she created for Mary Sorensen and I am sold.
  I will be teaching this my Flowers on a Grand Scale class to a group in Ohio in June. As I was quilting the updated version of the project pattern the thought that I should go to the movies popped in my head,  so off I went to see "Safe House" with Denzel Washington.  Not bad, but nothing you have to rush out to see. 
As I was leaving the theater with thoughts of treating myself to lunch at the restaurant on the lake, I saw lots of people walking toward the lake along with me.
There is always something going on at the lake.  Just one of the many reason I like living where I do.  This time what was going on was an art festival.   One that had previously been held in downtown Orlando I learned from one of the artist I stopped to talk to about their art work.   Not sure why it moved to my neck of the woods but I was happy that it did.  I was sorry that I didn't have my camera with me so I could show you some of what drew my eye.  I did collect several business cards with plans to contact the artist in the future with proposals to feature them in the gallery space at Bethune Cookman University.  After treating myself to an ice cream cone instead of lunch it was back to working on the class project.
Sunday Lyn and I made plans to see an art exhibit at the Orlando Museum because she had to write a paper for an art appreciation college course she is taking this semester. The works of Barbara Sorensen were being featured, but I agreed to go along because I was interested in seeing some small works of Georgia O'Keeffe.  To our surprise when we got there, half the gallery space in the museum was filled with antiques.  Antiques are not my thing very high end or not.  The antique show as well attended.  People were jocking for parking spaces and a raise in admission price from the $7.00 students and senior pay normally to $10.00 for every one but if I could have seen a O'Keeffe I would have been happy but there wasn't a Georgia O'Keeffe to be seen anywhere. All of the museum's art work was in storage and I was told that it would be a week or more before the museum would be back to normal.
I got a little ahead of the story...  before we drove to the museum Lyn wanted to spend some time at the art festival on the lake so I met her there and she gifted me with this small painting that I took a fancy to.

And this time I had my camera with me so here is a look at two of the chalk paintings that were being created on the street yesterday while I was there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The small painting looks like one of your circle flower quilts. Sounds like life is good in Florida. Non-Artist

Oil Painting Replicas said...

Some times oil painting looks very real. All the efforts you have made are very impressive.