Monday, January 27, 2014

The good , the bad and the so-so

of being a vendor at quilt show.
     First the good.  I love talking to people and having them look at the work I do.  If everyone or the one person representing a guild who picked up one of my teaching flyers contacted me for a teaching engagement, I will be busy teaching until sometimes in the 2020's.  And I thought I had retired to live in the Florida sunshine. I do love to teach and visit different guilds, so mind you I am not complaining here, just commenting.  Some more good is the fact that my oldest grandson does not mind hanging out with his grandmother and talking to quilters who in most cases are his grandmother's age.  There is nothing like young legs and backs that can climb ladders, steps and carry quilts.  Quilts are heavy.  He loads and unloads the car for our trips.  I would not be doing this without him, that's for sure.
     I have been to more parts of the State of Florida because of teaching and vending than I would have had I not been.  Each place I've traveled too has had a different look, but the same warmth and welcome from the quilters.
     Last week I taught a painting class to 30 with 8 or so auditing the class in New Smyrna Beach.  A new situation for me. 
     The bad of traveling to vend is still the same as it has always been for me whether I am staying in hotels, motels because of quilting or when I traveled when I was a nurse way back when.  I simply do not like eating on the road, unhealthy fast food in most cases, or sleeping in strange beds.  I liked vending this last past weekend in The Villages because I was close enough to drive home at the end of each day and drive back the next morning.  ahhh! My own sheets and blankets. 
I am hoping that last weeks cold is the last we will be seeing around here as the temperature is getting back to normal with some high 70's forecast for later this week.
     The so-so is the low number of shoppers and attendee I am seeing at some of the shows.  I am not sure what this is attributable to, but there is a decline.  The Mancuso Show in West Palm was not well attended and fewer were shopping  on all of the three days it was scheduled whereas the Quilters Market in the Villages was a zoo on Friday and busy enough on Saturday to make me happy that I participated.
I am home for 9 days before I am on the road again.  This time to Port St. Lucie for their quilt show. 
     So while I am home it is back to the easel to paint some more small pieces. 

No comments: