Friday, November 03, 2006

Back to Square One: a study in color

is what I have decided to name the quilts I will be designing and working on for the next few months. I know most of you who know my work, would not associate me with geometric shapes. Neither had I once I stopped making traditional quilts.

Lots of ideas have run through my head since the beginning of summer. Some quite complex utilizing different mediums including paints and other stuff in a really big way. Work that was going to be more multi-media than "quilt". But knowing myself and with the coming of winter and my annual "dumps" better known as SAD or Seasonal Affect Syndrome which is caused by a lack of sunlight Any thing that was going to require a lot of thought and planning during a time when all I really want to do is find a comfy chair, a warm throw, a cup of tea with lemon and a good book or knitting project to get lost in was no time to begin a journey into the unknown.

So I have decided to make it easy for myself and go back to square one. I have created some different for me work during the late autumn and winter months and they all seem in retrospect to have the square with an occasional rectangle in common. These works were never begun with the square as a conscious part of my thinking when I was designing, it just happened.

This time I am giving some serious thought to the subject because a solo exhibit is in my 2008 future. I know, I know, 2008 is two years away. But let me tell you two years can ZOOM by and before you know it you are in a panic. I know I wanted all new work with a different look that was, not so predictably me for this exhibit. What I define as predictably me is flowers and my bright clear color pallete.

Here is the game plan or rules I will follow until at least March 15th.
1. Use the square as the main element in all designs
2. Divided the square into horizontal or vertical sections, only.
3. Incorporate both hand dyes and commercials leaning more toward the handdyes.
4. Focas on color gradations and different color schemes.
5. Compose with colors not typical of my color pallete
6. Add greys, black and or white to at least 90% of the completed pieces without using
commercial black and white prints.
7. Keep all work less than 55 inches wide
8. After 5-6 completed tops look for some unifying elements that can be exspanded upon for a series.

Progress to date.
I have one top completed and have started on another.

Until I know if this game plan will work or not I am hesitant to show you what I have done so far. Give me a few weeks and I will let you see.

No comments: