Sunday, January 11, 2009

My latest journey of a thousand miles

began this time when I backed out of the driveway last Tuesday morning. I didn't get as early a start as I had planned. In listening to the weather forecast for MO, IL, IN and KY on Monday night, all states I would have to transverse, I learned there was a prediction of freezing rain for my part of Missouri which extended into the southern parts of Illinois and Indiana. Not good!
When I woke on Tuesday morning and was ready ready to leave, a final check of the weather said, I had to pause my trip button. There was a travel advisory warning of icy road in St Louis and reports of a number of icy road related auto accidents. So I waited until the all clear was announced. The wait caused me to arrive in Louisville much later than planned. I drove through misting to heavy rainfall in places the entire way but a book on CD kept me company and the 400 miles while they did not fly by certainly passed at an untiring pace.

I find solitary long distance driving very relaxing, especially when I am not pressed with an got to be there timeline. Just give me my favorite music and a good book on tape or CD and I am in joy. However I prefer to do the driving in daylight. As my eyes are aging. Who am I fooling, "have aged" night driving is no longer pleasurable. And at short stretches this trip as the sun set and I ran into pockets of fogs, I found myself driving like an old person. You know the ones we talk about who drive too slow and too cautiously.
For those of you who follow my blog you must know by now that I am the world's worst for taking pictures to document every step of my travels or getting them uploaded here. It is usually at the end as I am leaving some place that I think, Gee whiz, I should have documented my time here and then it is too late. The same goes for this trip. As I was packing up at the end of one class day to leave the quilt store I stopped long enough to get a picture of my friend Peggy. She is standing under two samples for a four session class she will be teaching at Austin's Sewing and Educational Center in Louisville which is where I taught 3 classes last week.
 
.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: