Tuesday, May 14, 2013

If I was asked three days ago

if there was anything else I needed or wanted for my studio, I would have without hesitations said, "no, there's nothing I can think of".  That nothing changed to something  when I accepted  a new commission that came my way on Sunday.  What I realized I needed was a printer that enlarges and reduces a drawn image.
     When I lived in MO, Lyn and I had a small office type fax/scanner/copier/printer in the home office that we shared.  When I moved to Florida, the apartment complex had a conference center complete with a multi-tasking office size unit that did even more things.  During the three plus years I lived there I used the office equipment in the conference center a lot and the walk from my apartment to the conference center gave me a reason to get out of the apartment, plus the walk did me good.
     As I began to think about the composition for the commissioned  piece that will measure about 54' x 40" in a horizontal orientation I realized that I would more likely than not needed to run out several times to a copy center to have some images reduced and once reduced, more than likely I would have to enlarge them to the right size for projection.
     No mater what size my finished pieces are, I design best on 8-1/2" x 11" note or graph paper.  But in both cases when using my Prism by Art-O-Graph, I have to reduce the final composition down to fit the 7" square area that my projector has.  From experience I know I get a clearer projected imaged if the image I am projecting is  no larger than 5-1/2 inches in any direction.
     Shucks and be darn, was what I thought when I realized there is no copy center close to me.   So off to the closest office supply store I went yesterday and brought this.  It works great and is so user friendly, thank goodness, because the manual written in 10 different languages was in my opinion worthless.
The composition was completed last night and projected onto the right size piece of silk.  I will begin painting on the new piece probably tomorrow.  Right now I  am quilting the second of two pieces that will serve as class samples.  Both measure about 18" wide by 26-28" long.  One is pinned to the design wall waiting for facing, sleeves and a label, the other is under the needle more than half quilted.
 
 
 

No comments: