Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's done, but don't

judge it by the photo image of it, My photography skills are sorely lacking in this case and it is really square and not at all distorted as the image suggests. For one thing, I haven't found the right spot in my place where I can take a good photograph. The design wall is lighted well enough for me to make good color fabric choices, but not quite right for photography and when I turn on more light and stand back from it I create a shadow on the work. When I turn of the lights then there isn't enough light and the flash washes out the color.
To take this picture I pinned it, well sort of hastily pinned it to the polystyrene printing surface and sort of propped that up not quite perpendicularly, hence the distortion... well at least I did not cast a shadow across the surface.
For future images worthy of being submitted for exhibit or competition I must find a place to prop up a pin-into-able surface outside somewhere in the garden. I'll work on that when I get back next week. If you don't see anything more from me for a few days it's because I am going home to Kentucky for an early Thanksgiving holiday with the Gibson - Edlen side of my family. We will be dining on turkey and dressing and all the trimmings as well as ham and sundry other dishes on Saturday and then hopefully not one pound heavier I'll be on the plane back to Orlando on Sunday.
Tomorrow I plan to mix some dye stock solutions so I can get fabric dyed when I get back. Don't you know I am longing to put on a face mask and get my hands back in a pair of rubber gloves :) Will show you all my wonderful colors when I am done.

 

 
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Juanita, I love it, I love it, I love it. I'm working on a floor cloth for my bath room and was wondering did you just freehand paint these on to the fabric or did you use a light tracer? I drew some flowers that are not so big, but would like them to be a lot bigger without going to my local print shop or using my light tracer.
Carol

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Juanita, it is absolutely gorgeous! Love the deep colors!

Teresa said...

Juanita:
This is beautiful - just awesome. I am enjoying even more than before reading your blog. I sat 2 down from you at Dianne Hire's FUN, FUN class. You were great to meet. I ended up with a small piece of your scraps and a square in a square block you made. I love your fabric choices. Have fun in Kentucky- and don't freeze!
Teresa (tachap@tampabay.rr.com) Please remove my email address before posting! That was just for you!

Juanita Yeager said...

Carol. In the instances where I dye paint, I free hand draw the flowers on white paper in the size and shapes I think I want to use and then cut them out and place them in position on the fabric which is pinned to the print table, I move them around or change the sizes and maybe the shapes until I am as happy as I have patience to be. Then I trace around the shapes with a water soluable marker, sometimes making additional corrections or alterations to the shape as I go. So the drawing is complete before I begin the dye painting. If you read along as I worked on this composition you saw that I added several more flowers to the right side after I had began to dye paint because when I looked at it head on, I thought it was missing something in the right upper corner, Again, I drew and cut out some flower shapes and pinned them in the places I thought they should go, once happy, I dye painted them in.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

absolutely awesome!

Susan Turney said...

Juanita, it is just gorgeous!!! I love the "stamping" or whatever it is in the upper right! And your quilting designs! The colors impart so much energy! It would be hard to have a "bad day" around it!

Carol said...

Hey, thanks Juanita for the info. I am afraid I won't be dye painting any thing, but you are very brave in your endeavors. I did freehand draw the flowers I'm going to use in the floor cloth and made copies so I have several that I intend to place on the canvas and trace after finding the appropriate place for them. Thanks again. I'm glad I'm too far off with my planning.