Thursday, March 02, 2006

I'm Back

It was a long week away from home and my studio that started off last Tuesday and was planned to be only a 4 day stay in Columbia, MO. You see, I am the imported sitter for my oldest daughter when she has to travel on business. Not that John my youngest granson who will be 15 years old on the 15 th of March needs a sitter, I hardly saw him.
He was off to school before I woke. He came home from school and went up the stairs to his bedroom and the internet or talk for hours on the phone to who else GIRLS!!!.
On the weekend he didn't get up until late afternoon. He is an owl like me.
He was easy to feed. Pizza from Papa Johns on two days , a number 7 with a coke from Wendy's x 2, chinese take out (in our case, delivery) although we could have walked to the resturant and not burn 1/16 of the calories in the meal. That 's how close the chinese resturant is. We had Macaroni Grill one night, he lasauna, me their grilled chicken, strawberries, feta cheese and spinach salad (yum).
I know this does not sound like a typical grandmotherly visit. No home cooked meals. No way.
The only honest to goodness grandmotherly thing I did the whole time I was there and that is debatable. I baked 20 chocolate chip cookies, (NOT FROM SCRATCH, perish the thought) The cookies were Pillsbury, pre-shaped. I opened the package, pre-heated the oven, put them in, set the timer and went back to my knitting until the buzzer sounded.
I taught all three grandsons how to shop for groceries and cook for themselves along with how to do their laundry and clean their bathroom. When they could do all three reasonablly well, I felt I had done my duty and could I retired to the studio with a clear conscious. I also resolved to never cook anything that required more than three ingredients and a pot. No tears for them PLEASE. Not one of them has suffered from a lack of grandmotherly food fare. They are 6'3, 6'1 and 6 ' respectively and according to all my nurses training they won't reach their maximum height until their early 20's. Lord help me they are all tall enought to see the top of my head in their sock feet.
While the cookies were still warm I preceeded to eat 4 of them for a total of 10 before bedtime, that was on Fat Tuesday and my digestive tract, reminded me early on Ash Wednesday morning just how bad I had been. My lips have not opened to admit any thing that sugar and fat ladden or chocolate enriched in almost 100 days.

Thursday it is back to the studio to finish the piece I left on the design wall.

1 comment:

Elle said...

It sounds like you had a really good time with them, lol.