Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yesterday I went to Tampa

Well not really. 
On Wednesday I rode in the navigator's or map reader's seat while my grandson Justin drove me to a speaking engagement and trunk show on the gulf side of the state. Since I got up at 6:15 AM and we were on our way by 7:15 I napped and let "Georgia" the GPS voice do the job of directing Justin.  I was hoping to see both the city of Tampa and the Gulf  while I was there, but it was not to be.  The Gulf shore was further away than I thought.
 The meeting place for the guild was in a suburb of Tampa and not Tampa proper, but still, I hate to go some place and not really see the place, so after I finished my program I had Justin drive a little further west so I could at least see the Tampa skyline if not the shoreline. As we were making a u-turn to get back on I-4 I saw this building and thought the decorativeoverhand was charming.
Oh and the chicken.... I'd heard that wild chicken can be found in parts of Florida but never expected to come upon any.  These two in a flock of six or seven were in the parking lot of a Hardee's where we stopped for a potty break off I-4 on our way back home.
As you can see from the picture below the group of quilters not only spend the day working on their own projects they also EAT. As I understand there is pot luck lunch served at each meeting and yesterday's menu was planned to honor the Super Bowl. Sort of tail gating inside rather than out, which was a good thing since yesterday was rather chilly by Florida standards. As part of the pot luck they held a chili cook off with a prize given to the chili judged the best. Sorry I missed getting a picture of the table with all the chili and stuff on it.
I took samples from four of the crock pots on the table and that was only the tip of the iceberg. There were several salads, cheese, corn chops, sour cream and chopped onion for toppers.
Simply by luck one of the four I choose to try was a vegetarian chili that won first place. I must say it was really very good. As I made my way along the table bemoaning the fact that there were many baskets of corn muffins and I could not eat any of them.  Gluten allergy.  And  then to my delight, there amongst the baskets was one basket containing miniature muffin labeled gluten free.
I took two.  Ate them with a little butter and honey. YUM! YUM! YUM!   Better than cake. I wish I had remembered to ask who brought them in and if they were her recipe or, from a box mix.  If a box mix I can see myself making some the next time I want bean soup, or kraut. Since discovering that wheat is not my friend, I have come to accept that bread for sandwiches or pancakes, or biscuits are no longer a part of my life.
But now, corn muffins, like brownies from a mix by King Arthur can be part of my life on a limited bases if I want.


Yes I sampled the fudge.
Ad yes I enjoyed my day with the  Feather Princesses and one Prince: Applique' Quilt Guild of Tampa

Posted by Picasa

No comments: